Thursday, September 2, 2010

"Why am I hungry?"

One of our members suggested a useful tool for getting in touch with emotional eating. When feeling hunger, she will stop, take a breath, and ask:

"Why am I hungry?"

Pretty basic? Not at all. For those of us with weight challenges, "Why am I hungry?" can be a critical question!

So often, the answer might be:

  • "because I'm procrastinating..."
  • "because I'm bored..."
  • "because I'm tired..."
  • "because I'm angry at my husband..."
  • "because I'm frustrated at work..."
  • "because I'm worried..."
  • "because I'm facing a big decision..."
You name it....but so often, we notice our hunger cues come from something other than physical hunger!

Now if it's time to eat a meal/meal replacement, it may be actual physical hunger. But take the second to ask if there's something else going on!

Get in touch with the reasons for your own non-nutritional eating.
We're all in this together.
Linda Gromko, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment